These printable cards are to be used in conjunction with our other Orton-Gillingham flash cards. They contain the following entries, some of which are direct ‘upgrades’ of specific cards from the Level 1 deck:
- Long and short vowel sounds for ‘a, e, i, o, u’; also includes the part-time vowel sounds for ‘y’
- Consonant digraphs 1 (‘ch, sh, th, wh’)
- ‘-ck, -dge, -tch’ reading/spelling patterns
- Suffixes ‘-s’, ‘-ing’, ‘-er’, ‘-ed’
- FLOSS spelling rule
- Doubling (1-1-1) rule for suffixes
- Open Syllable and Closed Syllable rules
- You can replace the Level 1 cards for ‘a, e, i, o, u, y’ with these Level 2 versions once your child has learned the respective long vowel sounds (either from Swords & Stationery or elsewhere).
- -ck has the sound /k/; -dge has the sound /j/; -tch has the sound /ch/. They can be found at the end of a short word immediately after a short vowel.
- Suffix -ed has the sounds /d/, /t/ and /əd/ (as in tested).
- Page 6 contains the answers to Page 5’s rules.
- You can duplex print Pages 5 and 6 (double-sided). This provides you with a direct reference to the rule while you’re holding the other side up for your child.
Note: before printing the cards, ensure that you have Scaling turned off in your printer settings. The final printout should be large enough for laminating with A6 pouches.
Download our other free, printable phonogram flash cards:
DISCLAIMER: I take no credit for the font (KG Primary Penmanship 2) and images used. These belong to their respective authors. If you are the author of a particular image and would like to have it removed, please do not hesitate to contact me.